Explore the history of the Parish

Follow in the footsteps of previous generations as they gathered to worship God at St Aidan's All Saint's and St Oswald's.



All Saints

is the oldest church building in the parish. It was built in 1745/1746 as a Chapel of Ease to the
parish of Houghton-le-Spring. It was given parish status in 1838. On 15th July
1985 it was Listed Grade II with the following citation:


'Parish Church:
1745; 1876-77 alterations by C H Fowler.

Exterior: Coursed,
squared sandstone; Welsh slate roof. Norman style. 3-bay nave with south porch and north vestry; lower apse to shallow chancel. 3 grouped round-headed windows in round-headed recess in each bay; 3 round-headed windows in apse. Roof has flat stone gable coping with belfry.'


Curates in Charge

1757              Revd William Sissons
1789              Revd Christopher Robinson
1793              Revd Thomas Thompson

Rectors

1830              Revd Thomas Thompson
1850              Revd James Waters
1868              Revd Philip Thompson
1881              Revd Joseph Hamilton-Fox (Errata - Church plaque has James)
1885              Revd J Moore
1898              Revd W J Lowenburg
1899              Revd G FHolme           
1929              Revd J W Battersby
1939              Revd W J Hobday
1940              Revd Reginald Sutton
1952              Revd Peter Dearne
1959              Revd John Maughan
1972 -1979     Revd Albert G Alderson
1979 -1987     Revd Barrie McKenzie
1987 -1990     Revd Malcolm Butler
1990 -1997     Revd Keith Walker
2000- 2007     Revd Peter Michael Hood
2010-             Revd Stephen W Osman

 
The Revd Keith Walker and Revd Peter Hood in
addition to being Rectors of Penshaw, were also Priests in Charge of
Shiney Row & Herrington in Plurality from 1994 to 1997

Original layout of All Saints showing font next to entrance.

    Notice the the third window above the porch - the impression of which can still be seen in the fabric

   This plan is a proposal to increase the seating capacity from 248 to 317. The Vestry is to be added the font moved.



   Note the apse (rear of the building) compared to the drawing above 

The picture below is the second window from the left (Behold I stand at the door and knock).


 

For more information on the church click here Welcome to All Saints Church Pensha1.pdf





'Walking together, Learning together, Praying together'
Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: Church of England